As summer slows down and fall takes hold, so too should we allow our bodies to relax and recover. Summer is generally the most active of all the seasons for many reasons. The kids are out of school, family vacations happen more frequently and outdoor activities are more plentiful because of the warmer weather and longer hours of daylight.With all of this taking place, it’s not uncommon for many people to feel exhausted by the time fall begins and the kids head back to school.
This is exactly why it is so important to recharge. Our bodies and minds need time to unwind. And for many people, there is no better way to relax than to get a massage. Regular massage is beneficial for many reasons. So let’s look at some of them.
- Improved Mood / Mental Attitude – The added stress of having the kids in the house, all day, every day, during the summer months can be frustrating and depleting. Getting a massage will help the mind and body relax.Studies confirm that regular massage can be beneficial for stress. Massages increase the feel good hormones known as serotonin and dopamine, while reducing the stress hormone known as cortisol. This leads to an improved mental state.
- Increases Immunity – With all the added activity and fatigue from running around, our bodies get run down. Regular massage increases circulation in the body and oxygenation of the cells. This can help bolster the body’s immune system, allowing us to avoid that fall cold that everybody at work is sharing, by increasing the amount of lymphocytes in the bloodstream. Lymphocytes are white blood cells that fight off disease and infection.
- Aches, Pains, Sprains and Strains – Regular massage helps soften and relax injured or overused muscles. Muscles being used more frequently can lead to aches and pains. Regular massage increases circulation and oxygenation, which helps the muscles heal more quickly. Massage also releases natural painkillers known as endorphins from the brain.
- Combat Seasonal Depression – The additional hours of sunshine can be a lifesaver for those who suffer from seasonal depression. But as fall takes hold and the days grow shorter, anxiety can set in about the upcoming seasons. The effects of massage can be compared to psychotherapy. And studies show that massage increases neurotransmitters that help decrease anxiety. It can also lower your heart rate and allow for more relaxation.
- Improves Sleep – When the body is going through the physiological change from summer to fall, getting enough rest isn’t always possible. Research shows that getting a massage can increase serotonin levels, as mentioned previously. This allows people to fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.
This is just a short list of reasons why massage can be beneficial to everybody during the fall season. So whether you’re suffering from aches and pains, frustration or just want to boost your immune system before fall hits, finding a massage therapist might be exactly what the doctor ordered. If nothing else, you get a few minutes of relaxation and no worries. Who can’t use that?