- Integrated Body Therapies
Christine A. Ruppert, LMT5712 Stillwell Road
Rockville, MD 20851
Massage therapy has been around for centuries and has been discussed in the ancient texts of many languages, including Chinese, Indian, Greek and Egyptian. While the exact roots of massage therapy are not known, it is known that getting regular massages can be very beneficial for those who receive them. Massage can treat everything from aches, pains and digestive issues to insomnia and more, which everyone experiences at some point in their lives.
While many people think of massage as a treat for special occasions, the truth is that regular massage can be extremely beneficial, especially during the summer months. Here are five reasons why you should consider getting a massage this summer:
- Aches, Pains, Sprains and Strains – Regular massage helps soften and relax injured or overused muscles. Muscles being used more frequently can lead to aches and pains. Regular massage increases circulation and oxygenation, which helps the muscles heal more quickly. Massage also releases endorphins from the brain that are natural painkillers.
- Improved Mood / Mental Attitude – The added stress of having the kids in the house, all day, every day, during the summer months can lead to anger and frustration. Getting a massage will help the mind and body relax. Studies confirm that regular massage can be beneficial for stress. Massages increase the feel good hormones known as serotonin and dopamine, while reducing the stress hormone known as cortisol. This leads to an improved mental state.
- Decreases Joint Swelling – The increased amount of heat and humidity can frequently cause swelling of the joints, particularly the knees and ankles. Massage helps to decrease the static accumulation of fluids in the joints by increasing circulation. Lymphatic massage is especially good at this because it pushes fluids through the body, releases toxins in the cells and keeps things flowing to reduce swelling.
- Increases Immunity – With all the added activity and fatigue from running around, summer colds can be common. Regular massage increases circulation in the body and oxygenation of the cells. This can help bolster the body’s immune system, allowing it to heal faster by increasing the amount of lymphocytes in the bloodstream. Lymphocytes are white blood cells that fight off disease and infection.
- Lowers Blood Pressure – Regular massages can be very beneficial to the circulatory system and a person’s blood pressure. Because massage is so relaxing, it can help lower blood pressure, while also decreasing the risk of stroke or a heart attack. When stress increases, so too does the blood pressure. As mentioned before, massage is a great way to decrease stress levels.
This list represents the tip of the iceberg when it comes to why massage can be beneficial to everybody during the summer months. So whether you’re suffering from aches and pains, high blood pressure, a summer cold or joint swelling, finding a massage therapist might be exactly what the doctor ordered. If nothing else, you get a few minutes of relaxation and no worries. Who can’t use that?
Arthritis is a word that is thrown around a lot these days. Arthritis is defined as a painful inflammation and stiffness of the joints. While arthritis is frequently thought of as an old age ailment, it can actually affect anybody, even children. This debilitating disease affects nearly 48 million Americans. It reduces a person’s ability to remain mobile, it reduces their quality of life and the health care costs are staggering. But there is hope for those who suffer from arthritis. continue reading
For many people, the winter months are more difficult to get through than other times of the year. With shorter days, less sunlight, colder temperatures, inclement weather and less social interaction, people tend to become depressed as the season of winter approaches. Just like our wild cousins, winter is often a time of hibernation and rejuvenation. But there are ways to combat the winter blues. continue reading
Massage can be an amazing tool for relieving nausea, and here are a few ways that massage can help with nausea.
Self-massage is a great way to relieve digestive irritations, cramps, morning sickness, stress-related nausea and more. Many people hold their stress in their abdomen which can lead to nausea, general queasiness, and perhaps even vomiting. By gently massaging the abdomen, nausea can be greatly reduced. The motion of the massage is important when being performed on the abdomen – generally clockwise.
Abdominal massage is especially helpful when there is digestive upset. Using a clockwise motion, and beginning at the lower left portion of the belly, gradually work up toward the ribs, then from left to right across the body, and finally downward toward the lower right side of the large intestine. This follows the natural path of the gastrointestinal tract and helps with peristalsis of the stomach and intestines. You can also find relief from nausea by massaging in the middle of the abdomen in a counter-clockwise direction. continue reading
As summer weather comes to a crawl and the feeling of fall becomes more prominent, it’s important to allow our bodies to relax and recover from the hype of summer activities. For most, summer is the most active of all seasons because children aren’t in school, family vacations are more frequent (YEAH!), and the warm weather and longer days allow us to be outside more. With the busyness of our lives, it’s not uncommon for people to feel exhausted by the time autumn rolls around as our lives and routines fall back into place. continue reading
It’s no secret that a good massage can provide relief for sore muscles, tired eyes and even digestive upset. But have you ever considered the benefits of sharing a massage with your husband, wife or partner in your own home?
Many people naturally rub their loved ones neck or shoulders when they are feeling stressed or in pain. But what many couples don’t realize is that providing their partner with a relaxing massage can also bring them closer together and strengthen the emotional bonds of the relationship. continue reading
When you get a professional massage, the therapist typically applies some sort of oil or cream that lubricates the skin, making it easier for the therapist to manipulate the area and more comfortable for the patient. It may come as a surprise to learn that coconut oil is a popular choice by massage therapists for several reasons. Here are a few of the benefits: continue reading
In the United States, 45 million Americans suffer from chronic headaches. Headaches can be debilitating and career ending. Chronic headaches create added stress at work, at home and in everyday life. Massage can be a very important tool for relieving chronic headaches. It can be used proactively to prevent headaches and also retroactively to help relieve a headache that is already in full swing. Let’s look at some ways that massage can help with headaches. continue reading
While many people think of massage as a treat for special occasions, the truth is that regular massage can be extremely beneficial, especially during the summer months. Here are five reasons why you should consider getting a massage this summer: continue reading